I TRAVELED WITH RAKU LOREN, A PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER WHO HAS VISITED THESE COUNTRIES SEVERAL TIMES. I WAS HIS STUDENT AND OUR AIM WAS TO CAPTURE THE PEOPLE, THEIR CULTURE AND LANDSCAPES IN OUR IMAGES. MOST OF OUR SHOOTING WAS IN THE STREETS WHICH WERE VERY CROWDED AND THIS FACTOR AND VERY DIFFERENT CULTURES MADE MY TASK DIFFICULT.

i HAVE ALWAYS BEEN FASCINATED BY MOUNTAINS AND AS PART OF THE TRIP I WANTED TO SPEND TIME SOMEWHERE IN THE HIMALAYAS. RESEARCH ON THE NET REVEALED THAT THE TREK TO ANNAPURNA BASE CAMP WAS ONE OF THE MOST SCENIC IN THE WORLD. THIS MOUNTAIN WAS THE FIRST 8000 M TO BE CLIMBED AND THIS WAS DONE IN 1951 WHICH WAS TWO YEARS BEFORE HILLARY AND TENSING CLIMBED EVEREST. INCIDENTALLY ANNAPURNA HAS BY FAR THE HIGHEST FATALITY RATE CAUSED MAINLY BY THE HIGH FREQUENCY OF AVALANCHES. SO WE INCLUDED A TWO WEEK TREK TO BASE CAMP AS PART OF OUR TRIP.

WE STARTED BY SPENDING 5 DAYS IN KATHMANDU WITH ME ON A STEEP LEARNING CURVE.

FOLLOWING THIS WE MOVED ONTO THE SLOPES OF THE HIMALAYAS AND STARTED THE TREK. i HAD PREPARED FOR THIS BY WALKING ALMOST 1000 KM IN THE 5 MONTHS BEFORE THE START OF THE TRIP. dESPITE THIS I FOUND THE TREK TO BE MORE THAN CHALLENGING GIVEN THAT THE TREK INVOLVED ASCENDING AND DESCENDING AROUND 55 000 STEPS. COMPOUNDING THE DIFFICULTY WAS THE FACT THAT A LOT OF SNOW FELL NEAR THE TOP WHILE WE WE WERE THERE. MORE ABOUT THE TREK WHEN I ADD MORE IMAGES.

WE ENDED THE TRIP BY SPENDING 11 DAYS IN INDIA. THIS TIME WAS SPREAD BETWEEN OLD DELHI, AGRA AND VARANASI. WE STAYED IN VERY BASIC ACCOMMODATION, USED PUBLIC TRANSPORT WHENEVER WE COULD AND ATE WHERE THE LOCALS DID INCLUDING FROM ROADSIDE STALLS. IN THIS WAY WE EXPERIENCED AN INDIA THAT MOST TOURISTS DO NOT.

THE FOLLOWING IMAGES ARE FROM KATHMANDU AND I WILL POST FOR THE TREK AND INDIA SHORTLY.

MIKE TAGG

Views: 360

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great stuff Mike. You truly captured the colour of India. All those "lived-in" faces and expressions.

Great photos, Mike! Fantastic opportunity!

very nice. lovethe photos

Stunning photos, Mike. I like the last photo, all those colours in the market. Great stuff!

Thanks Danie for your generous comments. I will post a few more pics from Nepal and more comments that might help others. Then I will write more about the trek and post images taken on it. I will post a few taken by Raku to give viewers a better idea of conditions. I must also remember to give his web address to members can appreciate what street pgy is all about.  here it is www.rakuloren.com  

I am not sure how many people go to the Discussion Page so I hope members do not miss it.

India and other countries in South East Asia offer wonderful opportunities for pgy and they are very inexpensive if ones needs are not the fancy hotels. Maybe a guided tour would be a great opportunity for those wishing to advance their skills. mike

Thank you Santie for your comments-having just looked at your pics I am not so sure that you should describe yourself as a "novice" some v good images.. m

Thank you again Corne. I will post more soon. mike

Corne Lourens said:

very nice. lovethe photos

Sjoe Mike, thank you for that compliment! I really appreciate it a LOT!!

Hi Mike.  Stunning photos, love them all!  My favourite is the second last photo, you photographed her very well!  Can't wait to see more!

Attachments:

Great photos Mike, really enjoyed watching and reading your experience.

Thanks for sharing the photos, I have a passion for what I call "character" photos and you have captured it very well - as Danie says "lived-in" faces and expressions, they sure tell a story.   Was it easy for you to just take the photos or did you request permission as I am not always sure? Sometime I just "steal" a good picture when they are not looking - I guess not everyone likes to be photographed, but yet some do not mind at all>

RSS

© 2018   Created by Danie Bester.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service